Paging/memory allocation problem

Has anyone experienced the following problem?

I recently installed Debian (from Stable disks I obtained
from debian.org a couple months back) on a Compaq Deskpro 50M
EISA box with 8MB RAM and a 340MB drive, 2 LAN cards
(SMC ELite 16 and Ultra) and an Orchid Fahrenheit
video adapter. This is a 486-50, I believe.

Installation went fine (except that the install menus
were as slow as molasses).  I only installed the base
system - no additional packages.I booted the machine
into multi-user mode, logged in as 'root' and left it
running for a day or so.

Returning to the machine after a couple of days, I saw a
screenful of messages like:
  "Couldn't get a free page....."

and finally, at the bottom of the screen:
  "Out of memory for bash."

I Alt-Fkey'ed to other virtual terminals, but couldn't log on.

I haven't been able to re-create the problem, but left it
on over the week-end. I hope it's still running when I get to
work tomorrow.

One possible explanation: my EISA config was out of sync
with reality, because someone had nicked memory from the machine.
I have since run the EISA config utility and fixed it.

TIA,
Alastair Gregory