Re: update-menus

I haven't had time to play with menus and pdmenus. I installed them and
began using them "as is". That's a compliment. Now, whenever I install
a few packages, I run update-menus as root just in case. Then I run
pdmenu and restart fvwm2 to see if anything got added. It's always a
joy to see new entries added automatically. That way I don't have to
agonize over whether to use ae or vi to edit the config files :-)

On Sat, 12 Apr 1997, Joey Hess wrote:

> > > I notice that many of the packages tell you that you can run a config
> > > program (gpmconfig, apacheconfig, smailconfig) at a later time to change
> > > things. Shouldn't these be added to menus as part of the install? That way
> > > root could run pdmenu and easily get to a submenu of config tools. Where
> > > user config is allowed, it would be placed on their menus, too.
> > >
> > > For now, I am trying to build a list of such config commands as I
> > > encounter them.
>
> That's a good idea (nice to see you're using my pdmenu program, btw :-)
>
> I'm cc'ing this to Joost, since he handles the menu package. Joost, I think
> this submenu for configuration scripts should be called Apps/System/Admin
> The only thing that installs an entry in there right now is taper, but I
> think it is a good name for a menu of things the sysadmin can use, which
> should include these *config scripts. Also, it might be useful to add
> something to the README saying that the *config scripts need to go in the
> menus.
>
> --
> See shy Jo.

+ Paul Wade                         Greenbush Technologies Corporation +
+ mailto:paulwade@greenbush.com              http://www.greenbush.com/ +
+ http://www.wtop.com/                        What does W.T.O.P. mean? +