Re: Replacing svgalib1 with svgalib-dummy1

joost witteveen wrote:
>> Would:
>>   dpkg --force-depends --purge svgalib1
>>   dpkg --install svgalib-dummy1_1.2.10.deb
>> be the right thing to do?
>I just tried it (I needed a "dpkg -r svgalib1-dev" in between, BTW),
>and it worked OK. (and, gs 3.33 still runs afterwards).

Ok. I just did it, and it worked. Thanks. :)

Hmm. Except that I just found another problem. :) I tried installing xaos
(which I didn't previously have installed), and dpkg complains that "xaos
depends on svgalib1 (>= 1:1.2.10-2); however: Package svgalib1 is not
installed."

svgalib-dummy1 does provide svgalib1, but apparently dpkg doesn't notice
that -- maybe the problem is xaos's dependance on a specific version number
of svgalib1 (and dpkg doesn't know which version of svgalib1 the dummy
package provides)?

>> (How safe is --force-depends, anyway? Can I safely use it if I check the
>> Depends: lines of the packages manually and see that I have the programs I
>> need?)
>Well, I usually trust dpkg when it says I have packages installed
>that depend on the package I'm about to remove.

Yes, usually; I was thinking of the situation where I'm installing something
that depends on something I have in /usr/local/.

For example, a month or so ago I had a self-compiled beta version of gnuplot
in /usr/local/bin/, and I tried installing octave (which depends on
gnuplot), but didn't want to install the Debian package of gnuplot (which
was the older, official version). Naturally, dpkg complained about gnuplot
not being installed; and I never got around to trying --force-depends, but
I'm wondering whether it'd have worked...

--
-=- Rjs -=- rjs@spider.compart.fi, rjs@lloke.dna.fi