Re: Dependency ordering

On 12 Apr 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	I have just finished the next version of the package ordering
>  libraries/tool which shall be uploaded tonight to master -- I think I
>  have caught most of the design issues rasied on the lists (I am
>  including the spec below).

Hm, I think we need to talk :> It's late so I will be brief.

What you have created is related, almost duplicating the functionality
that the dpkg-lib library that we (the Deity team) is developing. Actually
your application is the reason we want to create dpkg-lib, so ppl can make
things like you did. Anyhow, with your package it looks like we have 4
implementations of the base functions of dpkg-lib. Joy.

So at some point in the future we should combine the two packages, merging
your ordering code with our code. I do not know when we will be done, but
just so you know what we are trying to do.

I have saved your letter and will look at it in more detail in the
morning.

Jason