Re: ppp redial problem

"Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar@braincells.com> writes:

> You mean the modem device or something else? I am using /dev/modem which
> is symlinked to /dev/ttyS1 in pppd as well minicom and pppupd both of
> which redial correctly.

I may be mistaken, but I think that this can cause problems in some
cases, especially with respect to device locking.  I think using a
symlink means that in certain locking strategies which base the
lockfile name on the file name, a program locking /dev/modem will use
the lockfile /var/lock/dev.modem or something, while other programs
which are trying to use ttyS1 will use /var/lock/dev.ttyS1.  Both
programs will think they have exclusive access to the device, and both
will be wrong.

This, at least, was my understanding of the danger of device symlinks.
--
Rob