Re: Problem on mounting CD...

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997 tgakem@chem.tue.nl wrote:
> >   I've been tried to allow the normal users in my system to mount a CD-ROM
> > but with no success... I even put the following line in my /etc/fstab:
> >
> >     /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 ro,noauto,user,unhide 0 0
> >
> >   Where /dev/cdrom is a symbolic link to /dev/scd0. My /cdrom directory
> > has the following permitions:
> >
> >     drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Apr 11 10:23 /cdrom/
> >
> >   The problem is that the users can mount the CD but cannot umount it! The
> > "mount /cdrom" works fine but "umount /cdrom" gives the error message:
> >
> >     umount:  /cdrom mount disagrees with the fstab
>
> Hm, strange.  I've got the following line working in my fstab (it's not
> scsi though):
> /dev/hdd            /cdrom           iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noauto 0 0
>
> permissions are
> drwxrwsr-x   2 root     cdrom        1024 Sep 14  1995 /cdrom/
>
> Does this help?

Yes, because you've put /dev/hdd in fstab.

When you mount, the cdrom link is followed and mount mounts hdd (look at
/etc/mtab). When you umount, it finds /dev/hdd in mtab, but /cdrom in
fstab, and complains.
--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: d.wright@open.ac.uk  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151