Re: CD-ROM Not Recognizing

> Is there any special configuration I must do for Debian to detect
> my CD-Rom?

If this is an IDE drive, as virtually all new CD-Rom drvies are that
are not SCSI, you also need to watch the master/slave stetting.  If
your CD-Rom is connected to be slave on your 1st ide port, it should be
jumpered as such, if it is master on your 2nd ide port, it should be
jumpered as master.  DOS/Windows doesn't seem to care much about these
settings, but linux does.  Also, if you have a newer Mitsumi CD-Rom,
you need a kernel supporting IDE CD-Roms, not one that only supports
the older proprietary mitsumi interface.

If you have an older CD-Rom drive with a Mitsumi interface, you may need
to specify the io port and IRQ as a boot option to the kernel with
(e.g.) mcd=0x300,11.  If you compiled mcd.o as a module, you'll need
insmod mcd.o mcd=0x300,11.

> It's just a Mitsumi CD-ROM, and I tried inputting the io and irq manually
> and still no go..
>
> Can anyone point me in the direction to get this working?  I can pretty much
> use everything else, cept my cd-rom and floppy drives..

For floppy acces you may look into the mtools package, or add lines like

/dev/fd0            /floppy          msdos umask=000,user,noauto  0  0
/dev/fd0            /winflop         vfat  umask=000,user,noauto  0  0

to /etc/fstab.  Make sure /floppy and /winflop exist.  Now `mount
/floppy' will mount a DOS floppy, and `mount /winflop' will mount a
WIN95 floppy.  Be sure to umount the floppy before removing it from the
drive.  Read some manual pages (man fstab, man mtools, ...)

Hope this helps,

Eric Meijer

 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032
 Lab. for Catalysis and Inorg. Chem. (TAK) | tel. fax    +31 40 2455054