Re: What editors are in base?

Greg Vence writes:

> > ae is on board.
> >
> > > I am surprised nobody mentioned vi -- what, no purists out there
> > > anymore? :-)
> >
> > We already faught the fight before - and lost.  ae won. :-(
> > There's a set of macros which can turn ae in a vi-mode.  This
> > might be included in further releases.
> >
> I've never seen a base-line Unix box w/o vi that was what prompted the
> initial mail.

Me too.  Apart from the fact that i cannot understand the decision
I don't want to perform this fight a second time.  This was the decision
and now we should al live with it until we find a better solution
(which could mean finding a very small vi or reducing elvis to only
support basic functions that makes it very small; or the above mentioned
vi-macros)

Apart from the fact that I need a vi, many new users won't ever use
vi if they find it.  vi is a tool for freaks, hackers and gurus (therefore
it's a very good editor for us...).  Beginners are very happy with ae
because they can see which commands they can type.  It is really an
easy editor.  Therefore it should be included in the base set. :-)

	Regards,

	Joey

--
  / Martin Schulze * Debian GNU/Linux Developer * joey@debian.org /