Re: What editors are in base?

On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Greg Vence wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need to edit my ppp scripts.
>
> What editors come on the base install?

The editor you are expected to use is ae, but sed is also in base if you
really want to abuse yourself.
Ae is configured as a modeless editor with a visible help screen, so it is
pretty easy for anyone to figure out, and does a fine job of patching up
config scripts etc...

                                          Also, what is the input device
> for 'cp ' that uses the console for input?

Well, if I understand the question your command line should look like:

	cp /dev/console <file-name>

This works on my machine, but I remember something about the console
device being depricated, so there may not be such a device on the base
system (I haven't time to look).

If you know which Virtual Console you are on, they are accessed through
the ttyN devices, so from console 1 the line would look like:

	cp /dev/tty1 <file-name>

Whichever you use, you will not get a prompt or anything, just the cursor
to type at. When you have typed in what you want, a 'control C' will exit
the copy leaving your text in the target file. (I just tested both of
the above and they work fine on my machine...Your mileage may vary)

Luck,

Dwarf