PEX Extension to X

Has anyone any experience programming with the PEXlib under Debian?

I have managed to get PEX running in the Xserver (Note to the maintainer -
maybe the install should modify XF86Config?) but there are no demos/code
supplied with the xext package.

I have scanned the PEXlib reference manual and the Protocol books supplied
with the xbooks package, but they do not give anything near a tutorial
such as is given in O'Reillys 'Xlib Programming Guide' for Xlib. I would
prefer not to have to buy a book to see if PEX will do what I want -
anyone got any example code/demos?

What I am trying to do is display a fairly detailed 3D map for a game
client which has various bits changing continuously and allow different
viewing positions/magnification. I am open to suggestions for other
methods of achieving this under any _free_ 3D X library if anyone knows of
one.

Thanks,

Ed