HELP!! Boot Disk Problems

I ATTEMPTED to install the Debian 1.2.4 off of a CheapBytes CD and
the boot disks hung on the md driver and I could not go any further,
I have a working Slackware, so I compiled a Ramdisk enabled kernel,
stuck it on the disk and rebooted, that worked fine, but the kernel
seemed to hang on running rc, but when I switched console I found on
console 2, an active prompt, so I ran dselect and everything went ok.
Is there any fix for this.

Also once I installed Abuse (video game) I couldn't get the mouse to
work and it went quickly through the opening screens (the text didn't
scroll it just faded the screen in and out again).  I tried turning
the mouse off (unloading gpm).  But it just hung Abuse.

My Mouse is a Microsoft/MouseSystems flip-switch type and it works
fine with gpm.