Re: Seem to be hitting a snag.

Take a look at /etc/resolv.conf.  It needs to have some lines
in it.  Mine looks like;

domain CRAY.COM
search cray.com sgi.com
nameserver 128.162.xx.xx
nameserver      128.162.xx.xx

Where the nameserver lines point to the ip address of the DNS host
or domain name server.

Also take a look at your /etc/gateways file.  Mine looks like:

net default gateway 128.162.xx.xx metric 1

where the ip address points to the gateway here.

BTW, the "xx"  was really a 1 2 or 3 digit number less than 256
that was removed for security.  8^)  Don't try to use those exact
entries, but substitue the ip address of your DNS host and gateway.

Nathanael Nunes wrote:

> I am atempting to install debian on a 486.  It seems to work fine execpt
> for the networking part.  While booting up it sais NE200 Detected and
> that it is using IRQ 9.  Then It starts to inform me that the network is
> unreachable.  It does this for any ping or DNS search.  Anything that
> anyone could recomend that I check?  I was provided IP numbers for use
> on the machine.  I am a bit confused as to what the loop back setings
> are for.
> Any sujestions welcome.  Thanks.

Jim Lynch, System Engineer,  SGI/Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
Federal Business Systems, Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: jwl@sgi.com
Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269