Kernel panic

Hi,

Two days ago I managed to recompile my own kernel. It went roughly OK
I only tried it on my office computer today though and there seems to be a
problem. I seem to have  chosen a wrong option since at a very early stage
of booting I get the following error

VFS: cannot open root device 03:03
kernel panic VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:03

Could somebody please tell me what went wrong?

I have /dev/hda1 as my dos partition /dev/hda2 as my swap partition and
/de/hda3 as my root partition

I would appreciate any help.

                                       Thanks
                                       George