No nfs, no boot

Hi,

I have my machine setup to mount a disk on another (Debian) linux machine.
Unfortunately when I was rebooting my system, the other machine didn't
want to serve me, so my machine hung with:

NFS server ottifant not responding, still trying.

Now the obvious solution is to fix up the other machine, but the thing
which worried me most was the fact that the attempt to nfs mount didn't
timeout.  Which means that my system is entirely dependent on the other
system in order to boot.

Why is this so?

Thanks.

Mark Phillips                                      mark@maths.flinders.edu.au