Re: keyboard console setup

On Sun, 6 Apr 1997 ken@uno.canit.se wrote:

> I have trouble geting linux to understand my keyboard. I want to map a
> swedish keyboard. I get the impression that the swedish map in the
> base installation pack should be enough but its not. It's almost
> working so far I miss only three characters.

swedish/finnish will do...

> if you can read mime this is the characters I miss åäö ÅÄÖ.

yep, no problem...

> the strange thing is that i dont get any output at all from the keys
>  26,39,40. What could be wrong here??

Okey, first of all, if this is the same problem I had when I installed
Debian, about a year ago, it's not the keymaps...

My problem was that I could display åäö properly, but couldn't type them
though. Only got beeps in the speaker...

IF this is the case, try reading something like /usr/doc/kbd/*FAQ*...
The fix is to add a ~/.inputrc with a couple of options, also
making sure you escape 8bit characters to the shell by adding a line
to your ~/.bashrc

bln@irg<~>$ grep stty .bashrc
stty cs8 -istrip -parenb
bln@irg<~>$ cat .inputrc
set meta-flag on
set convert-meta off
set output-meta on
bln@irg<~>$

Okey, this _should_ do the trick, all asuming that you have
the same problem I had...

Regards,

Oscar W