syslogd will not start

For some reason syslogd refuses to start in the /etc/init.d/sysklogd
file.  The docs say to use a -n command line argument if starting
syslogd from the inits, but at bootup I see the message
"-n unknown option" and it still doesn't start.

I can start it manually just fine, but that is a pain.  I did nothing
special to this system, so I assume others must have had this happen,
too.

What is the secret?

Here are the lines in my /etc/init.d/sysklogd file:

SYSLOGD=""

#  Use KLOGD="-k /boot/System.map-2.0" to specify System.map
#
KLOGD=""

case "$1" in
  start)
    echo -n "Starting system log daemon: syslogd"
    start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /sbin/syslogd -n --
$SYSLOGD

--
Ken Gaugler  N6OSK  Santa Clara, California
email: keng@wco.com  URL: http://www.wco.com/~keng