Re: CS4232 loop (fwd)

Hi,
>>"Civ" == Civ Kevin F Havener <havenerk@thunder.safb.af.mil> writes:

Civ> On 4 Apr 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
Manoj> --
Manoj> A little retrospection shows that although many fine, useful
Manoj> software systems have been designed by committees and built as part
Manoj> of multipart projects, those software systems that have excited
Manoj> passionate fans are those that are the products of one or a few
Manoj> designing minds, great designers.  Consider Unix, APL, Pascal,
Manoj> Modula, the Smalltalk interface, even Fortran; and contrast them
Manoj> with Cobol, PL/I, Algol, MVS/370, and MS-DOS. Fred Brooks, Jr.

 (As someone pointed out to me, Perl belongs to the former category too)

Civ> So Manoj, what category is a Debian System: design by committee
Civ> or by the committed? =8-)

	Oh, the latter, certainly. Linus is still the final arbiter of
 the kernel, and when I wrote the kernel-package, there was no
 committee second guessing me.

	Oh, people report bugs, that's only fair. And sometimes, I am
 gently reminded by my esteemed fellow developers about what a
 ridiculous ass I have made myself on some technical point or the
 other ;-), but never the shade of a committee bearing down on me.

	manoj
 who never could even learn to march in step while drilling

--
 "You know how Einstein got bad grades as a kid?  Well, MINE are even
 WORSE!" Calvin