Re: Unidentified subject!

On Thu, 03 Apr 1997 22:44:59 EST Rick (rickya@siservices.net) wrote:

> What's the best X based program to use to view mpeg/avi etc... and where
> can I find it?

There is xanim in non-free, and mpeg_play in graphics.
Beware that mpeg_play is a little bit out-of-sync (still a.out !).
Xanim cannot play the MPEG I frames (the mpeg files will really look
jumpy).

> What program do I use to create shaped xpm files.  Image Magik and gimp
> don't seem to do it.  They always put a backgroun in them.

I used to do it by hand.
XPM files are editable, you just have to change the color you want to become transparent to ``none'' in the header.

But, Imagemagick can do this. It's called matte in `display'. But it won't work with PseudoColor visuals. You can use convert to do it with the shell:
   convert -draw "matte 0,0 replace" foo.xpm bar.xpm
will change the color at coordinates 0,0 to transparent.

Phil.