SOLUTION: Linux fvwm1.24r-25 vs Sun fvwm1.24r

For the benefit of the archive lists and in case anyone else was
wondering, here's the answer to my problem.

The default fvwm behavior is not to use m4, but the Debian/Linux fvwm
package has been compiled to use m4. Since m4 quotes using ` and ', the
result is that the backquotes in the .fvwmrc file causes an error.  The
solutions are:

1. call fvwm with the -no-m4 option
2. redfine how m4 quotes literals.  Using the fvwm -m4-squote and
-m4-equote options may also do the trick (I didn't try).

Thanks to Dan Astoorian <djast@utopia.utopia.csas.com>, Niels
<niels@holding.pi.net>, and Rick Macdonald <rickm@vsl.com> for their help
in solving this problem.

Steve