Re: A Qt alternative for KDE?

On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> Would anyone be interested in working on a GPL-ed clone of Qt? This would
> make KDE entirely free. I'd like to hear sentiment on this before I take
> any more steps.

I think this is a good idea, but I don't see it gaining a whole lot of
momentum anytime soon.  The Qt license is somewhat restrictive, but not
badly enough so where people are going to get gung ho about this.

I would like to hear some thoughts on the complexity of cloning Qt.  It
seems like it would be a lot easier than say.. the Lesstif project.  I've
compiled some programs with Qt, but I have stayed away from the Qt source
code in case there ever was a project like this that I would want to
contribute to.

Also, some thoughts on how much of a moving target Qt is would be nice to
hear. :)

I think I understand where Bruce is coming from on this.  I'm extremely
thrilled about the KDE project.  Linux has needed something unifying like
this for a long time.  It does concern me that one company has a lot of
control over what looks like it will become the de facto library for
creating graphical interfaces under Linux.

-douglas