Re: KDE/KDM

> From: <edwalter@students.wisc.edu>
> > Are there any plans to package KDE (www.kde.org) or any of it's
> > components?
>
> KDE will be packaged, and you will be able to use it, but Debian is
> most interested in 100% free desktop environments, so we have to be a
> bit careful with KDE. KDE itself is free, but the Qt toolkit upon which
> KDE is free _only_when_used_with_X_. I think that Toll Tech, the
> creators of Qt, made it free on X so that they could have lots of free
> software to sell with their non-free versions under Windows, NT, etc.

Just to correct possible mis-understanding of Bruce's statement...

You don't have to buy Qt in order to run free Qt based software for
Windows, NT, etc. Anyone can distribute Qt based software for any
platform that Qt supports.  But someone would have to purchase a copy
of Qt in order to port or develop for Windows, NT, etc.  And the Qt
library sources can't be freely distributed with the software.

--
Lee Olds
olds@eskimo.com