xntp weirdness: system clock gets set 20 seconds slow

[For anti-spam purposes, my email address does not appear in canonical form
in this message, but if you're not trying to sell me anything, I welcome
replies.  My username is gobbel, the name of myhost is cogsci.ucsd.edu. -RG]

I've been trying to get xntp to work correctly on my system, so far with no
success.  No matter how I set up things beforehand (e.g., setting both date
and clock from Java clock on the NIST Web page), xntp, after talking to its
servers (any set of servers, stratum 1 or 2), sets the clock to be
approximately 20 seconds behind the correct time.  Given that NTP is
supposed to allow the system clock to stay within a few milliseconds of the
time standard, this is bizarre.

Has anyone else out there had this problem, does anyone have any clues
about what's going on here, and how to fix it?  Is there a FAQ or HOWTO
about this?

-Randy