gross stupidity

I find my self guilty of the charge above, in that I've blown away
/usr/lib and have therby left myself with a nearly unusable system.
I'd thought that I was in usr/lib/sound when I did a rm *, but I was in
/usr/lib. (I was trying to get my expired sound driver to re-compile; I
wish I'd just spent the $20).  Might there be a way that I could trick
dselect into thinking that I have a nearly bare system so that I might
just download the works?  Would I be better served to load bo (by that I
mean, would I be likely to get a working system by just leaving only bo
as the stuff to get and and then just say YES?).  I've messed with
trying to say n to each lib and then y to each lib, but this just breaks
stuff left and right. Perhaps I should format hda* and start from the
top.  I guess it's time to invest in a tape device (or perhaps a little
late for that).