Can't get color in xterm!

At some distant point in the past I used to get color in my xterms... I
had even customized the colors using X resources. But after installing a
bunch of things, I don't get color anymore. The xterm still understands the
color escape sequences, but it maps them all to either black or white

It doesn't look like my /etc/X11/Xresources file it causing the
problem. Does anyone have a clue as to where the problem might be? Because
it's really annoying... For instance, the default configuration of lynx now
gives my black on white for both the highlighted link and the other links.

I'm tracking unstable.

Thanks,

  Christian