Re: sendmail on two hosts for one domain

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Michael J. Maravillo wrote:

> 	what i really want to do is forward certain users to the second
> 	machine.  that is, without using aliases.  if the user doesn't
> 	exist on the first machine, it will try the second one.

There is a config option in /etc/sendmail.cf which allows you to specify
a machine to send mail for unknown users to:

it's commented out by default in the standard sendmail.cf:

    # place to which unknown users should be forwarded
    #Kuser user -m -a<>
    #DLname_of_luser_relay

I don't know what the option is for /etc/mail/sendmail.mc, but it really
should go in there rather than hacking the sendmail.cf file directly.
read the docs in /usr/doc/sendmail, as well as the man page.

You *can* use this on both machines to point to each other. I suspect
that you would end up causing a mail loop, though, for addresses which
are unknown on both machines.  NOT RECOMMENDED!

You would be much better off designating ONE of the machines as the
mail host, and having all mail arrive on that machine. POP or IMAP or
even .forward files can be used to redirect mail to the other machine
according to user preference, or just have aliases for some users.

In other words, THERE ARE BETTER WAYS OF DOING THIS :-)

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract