AT1500 Ethernet card?

Hello All:

I have been helping a friend set his Debian Linux system and he has an
AT1500 (AMD LANCE) ISA ethernet card installed.  Apparently the driver for
this card is not possible to install as a module and it must be compiled
into the kernel.  I have done this but during boot, no indication that
this card is being autoprobed or located is given.  The networking is
obviously not functioning.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of card?  Do I need to
append an "ether=" command to lilo.conf?  Is there some additional support
besides the standard networking support which must be compiled into the
kernel?

Help!

Cheers,

Carlo

    *                            Carlo U. Segre                           *
    *      Department of Biological, Chemical and Physical Sciences       *
    *        Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL 60616          *
    *   Voice: (312) 567-3498                      FAX: (312) 567-3494    *
    *                      segre@charlie.cns.iit.edu                      *