wish4.2 - the disappearing file

I recently installed the tk42 and tcl76 packages then went to
recompile my kernel.  On using
 make xconfig
I discovered that tk didn't seem to be working.  Trying to check
further on this has produced some mystifying behaviour.
 $ ls -l /usr/bin/wish4.2
 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         5780 Mar  3 21:41 /usr/bin/wish4.2
 $ file /usr/bin/wish4.2
 /usr/bin/wish4.2: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 386, version 1, stripped
 $ /usr/bin/wish4.2 /usr/doc/tk42/examples/hello
 bash: /usr/bin/wish4.2: No such file or directory

I even checked with strace and the first call to execev with the
argument of /usr/bin/wish4.2 fails.  That message of "No such file or
directory" can appear in mystifying ways for shell scripts but I have
never seen a case like this before.  One is reduced to shouting at the
screen, "It's there, I tell you.  It's really there!".

The reason I was recompiling the kernel is to adjust the IRQ's used by
my sound card.  I fell back on a plain
 make config
but even that failed.  When I indicated that I had an Ensoniq sound
card it prompted later for the base address (SSCAPE_BASE) with the
default of 330.  No matter what I respond at that point it just
returns a message that there is no help available for that variable.
Does "make config" have difficulty with the "hex" type of variable?

Suggestions welcomed.

--
Douglas Bates                            bates@stat.wisc.edu
Statistics Department                    608/262-2598