Re: How to uninitialise partition?

On Mar 03, 1997 at 05:54:28PM -0800, Thought wrote:
> If your old drive was for DOS, does DOS see the partition anymore?  For
> example, is there still a C: but it's unreadable (Invalid Media), or is
> there just no C:?  I've accidently been in a fdisk (I think it was linux)
> and deleted one of my DOS partitions on accident, and got REALLY lucky
> because I booted off a DOS bootdisk and ran fdisk and re-created the
> partition of exactly the same size before and all my files (FAT and all)
> were still there.  I ran scandisk and lost 4096 (one block) somewhere, but
> I just disregarded it and counted my lucky stars.

Argh; never use DOS FDISK to recover lost partitions; it deliberately
wipes the first few bytes of the partition; the manual page
for fdisk (Linux) mentions this in the warning about creating
DOS partitions with Linux fdisk.

Once a friend of mine wiped another friend of mine's DOS partition.
I recovered it with Linux FDISK (from a floppy because he was not
a Linux user). I lost the partitions on my Linux server
once and recovered that with Linux fdisk too.

--
Hamish Moffatt, moffatt@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au,     Melbourne, Australia.
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering. 3rd year, RMIT.