to xlib6 or not to xlib6?

Still trying to get gimp-smotif to run.  However can't install gimp
until I have xlib6 installed.  When trying to install xlib6 I get
error messages:

bash# dpkg -i xlib6_3.2-1a.1_i386.deb
dpkg: considering removing xlib in favour of xlib6 ...
dpkg: no, cannot remove xlib (--auto-deconfigure will help):
 gwm depends on xlib (>= 3.1.2-4)
  xlib is to be removed.
dpkg: regarding xlib6_3.2-1a.1_i386.deb containing xlib6:
 xlib6 conflicts with elf-x11r6lib
  xlib provides elf-x11r6lib and is installed.
dpkg: error processing xlib6_3.2-1a.1_i386.deb (--install):
 conflicting packages - not installing xlib6
 xlib6_3.2-1a.1_i386.deb

I am not worried about gwm: I don't use it anyway.  But I am
worried about trashing all my other X stuff if I install this
package.

Is it OK to upgrade to xlib6 and let the chips fall where they
may with respect to elf-x11r6lib, or what should I do?

Thanks!

--
Ken Gaugler  N6OSK  Santa Clara, California
email: keng@wco.com  URL: http://www.wco.com/~keng