Re: How to uninitialise partition?

( Re Message From: Nick Cropper )

> Help!
> During a long and complicated floppy installation (trouble due
> to DOS's fdisk -- not debian) I managed to initialise my old
> harddisk (containing all my files) instead of my new one.  It
> was just an initialisation (no surface/low-level scan) which
> is why I'm still holding a glimmer of hope that someone can
> suggest a retrieval trick.  Is there any way to access the
> files that were on that partition?
>
> thanks,
>
> Nick Cropper
> nic@minster.york.ac.uk

Just a last-resort suggestion. You've probably scrubbed all the directory
info, but the actual data may be there.

If you've got a working Linux on your new disk, then you can try "dd"
which will read the old disk "raw".

If the old disk still has partition info, then you can try it partition by
partition (e.g. "dd bs=1024 skip=1024 count=512 if=/dev/hda2 of=hda2.rescue").

Otherwise you may just have to to the whole disk (use "/dev/hda").

Then of course you have to try to pick the bits of real file out of the
jumble you will get. Best of luck!

Ted.                                    (Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk)