Re: does debian 1.2.x support umsdos

On Fri, 21 Mar 1997, Joseph Zieniewicz wrote:

> Does debian support umsdos?

Debian does not support umsdos although with a liitle hacking you can
create a umsdos partition, umsync it, and put the debian base distribution
on it.

However, I do not reccomend this. The performance is cruddy, and it's not
necessary.

> Does it have xf86?

Yes.

> What version of the
> linux kernel is in debian 1.2.x?

Last I checked... 2.0.27

> I like umsdos because you
> don't need lilo which can cause problems because it can mess up your MBR
> and it is hard to configure. I also use loadlin to boot up from my dos
> partition.

You do not need to use umsdos just to use loadlin in leiu of lilo. Loadlin
can boot linux on an ext2 partition just as easily.

 umsdos also lets you access all your dos files as it can
> coexist with dos.

Linux on an ext2 can also access your dos partions. In fact if you have
win95 it can access your long filenames.

Time flies like arrows, but fruit flies like bananas

Perry Piplani                http://perrypip.netservers.com
perry@perrypip.com           http://www.netservers.com