Re: write-protected filesystems [Was Re: dpkg and shadow]

    >> [When I mount] an Iomega Zip drive ... occasionally[,] I get
    >> the message: sda: Write Protect is off sda: sda4 ...  Is there
    >> a command out there somewhere to write protect/unprotect disks?

    meierrj> 	I am not familiar with Iomega drives but strongly
    meierrj> suspect that the message is simply a warning that the
    meierrj> write-protect tab is in the writable position.

 Who was the original poster?  I have a utility that I downloaded
someplace for controlling the Zip drive.  It lets you set the write
protect, amoung other things.

 There is not a tab like on 3.5" floppies.  It's set by a program,
which must write something to the disk telling the hardware to write
protect it.

Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg@inetarena.com>
http://www.inetarena.com/~karlheg
Portland, OR  USA