Re: Suggestion for list...

Hi,
	[message being sent to the list only, since that is what my
	set up defaults to, mentioned to prove a point]
>>"Jason" == Jason Costomiris <jcostom@sjis.com> writes:

Jason> On Fri, 21 Mar 1997, Santiago Vila Doncel wrote:

Santiago > Please read: http://garcon.unicom.com/FAQ/reply-to-harmful.html

Jason> Ok, I've read it.  It's a bunch of bunk.  I use pine for mail.
Jason> If there's a reply-to: header set, I get asked if I should use
Jason> the reply-to: header instead of that of the author.  I also get
Jason> asked if I would like to reply to all.

	Not everybody uses pine. Why does one need such a thing? you
 should switch to a more reasonable mailer, which handles
 things nicely with out atrocities like reply-to munging (when on a
 customer sire, I do set reply to to a identity I want, and I would be
 most annoyed if the list rewrote it). (At various points, people have
 called most standars bunk, and unless you give better technical
 reasons, I am afraid I must dismiss you woth the rest)

	Munging reply-to headers would, IMHO, be a gross violation of
 ettiquette, unless my reply to setting were also honored (then it
 would not just reply to the list).

Jason> That pages drones on endlessly about "reasonable mailers".
Jason> Pine is quite reasonable, and apparently handles Reply-to:
Jason> better than most mailers.  I also noticed your message id:

	If you say pine is quite reasonable, it must be so.  If it
 requires reply to munging, then your standards are amazingly .. low.

Message-ID> <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.970321124547.3683A-100000@cantor.unex.es>

Jason> What do you know?  You're using pine too.  You should also be
Jason> able to use this feature.  If the list won't start doing it, I
Jason> think I'll just start using some formail action to do it
Jason> myself.

	Please do. Just don't ask the list to start needlessly munging
 reply to headers, just to cater to old and feature lacking mail
 readers.

	manoj,
 who uses fetchmail (IMAP), suck, ssh, diald/ppp, sendmail, mailagent,
 emacs, vm, gnus, and tm as components of a complex system to deliver
 mail/news to his screen, and carry away random noise back from his
 keyboard.

--
 "...as long as there is a Legion of super-Heroes, all else can surely
 be made right." Sensor Girl