Re: Upgrading from slackware to debian

     I would like to supplement Paul's excellent summary in respect to
Red Hat.  Red Hat is heavily oriented towards Xwindows.  The
installation program configures X very early, and the balance of the
installation uses Xwindow interface.  They have several X-based
administration tools that they think should be used.  If, for
instance, you load the fstab file in an editor, you are warned that
you should be using "control panel" (or whatever it's called.)

     Of course, you can refuse to configure X in the installation, and
do administration in the usual manner, without using the X-based
tools.  If you want Linux in order to get multi-tasking without a GUI,
you shouldn't even look at Red Hat.  If, on the other hand, you like
using a GUI, Red Hat should be one of the options you consider.

Bob