Re: 16bit X-windows

On 19 Mar, Alain Nadeau wrote:

>> On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, (     Don      ) wrote:
>> > does anyone know how to configure x-windows 2 display 16 bit color?  i
>> > have a diamond stealth 2400XL and i'm running the S3V Server, but it only
>> > loads X w/ a depth of 8. thanks

>> have you tried?
>> startx -- -bpp 16

> Of course you can make it a permanent change by editing file
> /etc/X11R6/bin/startx and add the following line to it:

> serverargs="-bpp 16"
> The startx command will always launch the 16-bit mode afterwards.

Or if your using xdm change the line
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X
in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers to
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -bpp 16

Adding a line
Depth   16
in the /etc/X11/XF86Config file, section Screen, subsection Display
is how I do it right now - with xdm that is.

Is that the generic solution, ie independent of starting mechanism
being xdm or startx?

/Michael
--
|                Linux: Turn on...Tune in...Fork out...                 |
|    Michael Tempsch, member of Ballistic Wizards, TIP#088, TDGP#20     |