Problem with Smail

Hi,

After using Debian 0.93R6 for some 18 months, I took the opportunity of
installing a bigger hard disk in my laptop to install 1.2 from the cover
CD of Linux World. There where a few problems on the install, but most of
the ones I found seem to have been fixed, and everything is running
smoothly now.

Except I decided to go with smail rather than sendmail, as it is the
recomended mail delivery agent, and sendmail seemed overkill for a system
now connected via modem. It delivers mail fine *except* the "From:" field.

Instead of reading <jab@hex.prestel.co.uk> I get <jab@hex>. Having read
all the avaliable documentation (bug report "man smailconfig" reports no
manual entry) it would appear that in /etc/smail/config the option
visible_name should read hex.prestel.co.uk which surprise surprise it does.

I have since fiddled with every possible option that could conceivably have
anything to do with this problem, all without result. It is now a week
later and I am getting board with editing entries in /var/spool/smail/input
to get outgoing mail correct.

Ideas?

JAB.

--