Re: mt eof + Travan = Operation not permitted

Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:

> meierrj@frc.com wrote:
> >
> > Debians,
> >
> >         Thank you in advance for any help.
> >
> >         I recently upgraded my Slackware 3.0 (linux 1.2.13) system to Debian
> > 1.1 (linux 2.0.6) via InfoMagic's Dec 96 6 cd set, and was disappointed that
> > mt(1) limitations were not lifted.
> >
> > Summary:How can I read and write multiple archives on a floppy tape?
> >         Is anyone writing multiple archives on a Travan floppy tape?
> >
> > Problem:mt -f /dev/nrft0 eof
> >                 reports "Operation not permitted"
> >         I understood that this was a limitation of linux 1.2.13 but not
> >                 of linux 2.0.6.
> >
> >         tar -cvf /dev/nrft0 .
> >         tar -cvf /dev/nrft0 ./.deleted
> >                 writes the first file (archive of .)
> >                 does not write the second file (archive of ./.deleted)
> >
> >         400MB tapes have ~10%/400MB read error rate.
> >         I suspect that the Travan T-1000 motor is only marginally capable
> >                 of handling the moment of inertia of 400MB tapes.
> >
> > Workaround: (for past year with Slackware 3.0)
> >         Place only one archive on each tape.
> >         Use /dev/rft0.
> >         Use only 200MB tapes.
> >
> > Config: Dell Dimension XPS-133c
> >         Travan T-1000 400MB internal floppy tape controller
> >         Debian 1.1
> >         linux 2.0.6
>
> Ok, well I haven't used a Travan drive, but I've used many other
> QIC drives with Linux. I've always put multiple archives on a tape,
> but I've *never* used the eof command for mt. Why not use the 'fsf'
> command for mt? Perhaps that will work?
>
> --
> Jens B. Jorgensen
> jjorgens@bdsinc.com

Yes, this works fine.  NOTE however that you must first use
the mt -f /dev/rft0 erase    command on any tape you want to
do this with.  Otherwise you will not be able to read past the
first archive (at least not with my hardware).

--
Ken Gaugler
email: keng@wco.com  URL: http://www.wco.com/~keng