Re: HELP! partition table messed up -- (DOS okay but linux is not!)

Jason Gunthorpe writes:
 > On Sun, 16 Mar 1997, Arup Mukherjee wrote:
 >
 > > 	I'm having a problem that appears to be the inverse of what
 > > some people here have had before. The partition tables on BOTH my
 > > disks, as linux sees them, are screwed up. However, if you boot dos or
 > > windows 95 from the hard disks (via lilo, which still works), both dos
 > > and w95 still have an accurate idea of the partition information and
 > > work fine. I guess they're using a copy of the partition table as
 > > opposed to the real thing.
 >
 > This is VERY typical of a boot sector virus, you should get a fprot or
 > some other scanner and sweep your MBR from a clean boot floppy. I had
 > exactly the same symptoms on one of my computers when I had the Monkey
 > virus.
 >
 > Jason

	This was the right answer. I had been infected by "stoned"
... As per the suggestion of someone else on this list, I got pfdisk,
wrote down the values, booted the debian rescue floppy, and then
used linux fdisk to rewrite the mbr's partition table. Once I got that
far, removing all traces of the virus with fprot was fairly easy.

	Many thanks, to everyone who offered their advice. I thought
I'd describe the outcome in case anyone else bumps into this problem.

-Arup