Re: GNU/Linux Need Help!!!

On Sun, 16 Mar 1997, val.tamarov wrote:

> Can anybody send me basic linux command for Linux?

man any-command  <== help on any command
ls <= dir
cp <= copy
cat <= type
ae and joe <= editors
cd <= cd =) (but always with a space before: `cd/' doesn't work)
pwd <= print working directory

> How to switch to floppy?

 Preferred way: Use the mtools package. Then use all the DOS commands plus
a `m' like:

mdir
mcopy /pepe/adios a:fafa.txt
mdel a:fafa.txt

 You can also mount floppydisks... with `mount /dev/fd0 /mnt', remember to
do `umount /dev/fd0' before removing the disk!!!!

> How to run program?

 Just type it. Note: the current directory is not in the path, so if you
have a program in a directory that isn't in the path you have to type
"./program".

> How to distinguish executable files and directories?

Type this:

alias ls='ls --color -F'
alias l='ls -laF'

 (and put it in /etc/profile or /home/your-user/.bash_profile)

> I already know pwd, ls, edit.

 Uhh.. you should have told this before.. =)

--
Nicolás Lichtmaier.-  | From Buenos Aires,
nick@feedback.com.ar  |      Argentina!