using orielly "cgrep" in cgi under Apache

I am still having some interesting problems trying to test cgi
programs on my Linux box before moving them up to my ISP.

The latest case is rather the reverse:  I have a cgi-bin program
that calls the "cgrep" program in the O'reilly book "Programming
Perl".  cgrep prints a few lines of the text surrounding a target.

The scrip on my ISP runs fine.  Trying to run it on my Linux box
gives no apparent output when calling from the web browser.  If i
just run the cgi script from the command line, the script works
as expected.  I suspect the problem may be that the httpd cannot
execute the cgrep program.  Any ideas how to figure what is
going on?

TIA!

--
Ken Gaugler