Problem compiling gnuplot pre-3.6, pl.325,328

I have not been able to cleanly compile recent gnuplot beta releases.
Mainly, the autoconfigure script "./configure", does not see "-lvga".  Now I
assume that the svga library is present, since I have installed

        svgalib1-bin 1.2.10-3
	svgalib1-dev 1.2.10-3
	svgalib1     1.2.10-3

My system is mainly debian, and I have tried to keep the libraries
reasonably up to date.

There are a number of complications, beyond my knowledge.  Is there
something I have to do to make the autoconfigure script see "-lvga"?

One other problem, incidentally, possibly a Debian specific, is that the
gnuplot command "set locale ..." causes a core dump.

Thank you for any help on this.

Alan Davis

--
 Alan Eugene Davis      Marianas High School      15o 8.8'N       GMT+10
 adavis@saipan.com      AAA 196 Box 10,001        145o 42.5'E

"An inviscid theory of flow renders the screw useless, but the need
for one nonexistent."            ------ Lord Raleigh