Re: Linux new comer waiting for help

Hello!

Yi-Jie LI writes:

> Hi,

[.snip.]

> 3) From INSTALL.HTML, I know the installation is not complete yet even
> though I have finished installing the base system. But how could I
> continue? If I want to finish installation through a set of floppy
> disks, which ones should I download? If I want to finish it through
> dial-up FTP, what should I do? Of course I already have a PPP dial-up
> account.
>

> Any response is much appreciated.
>
> Rgds, Yi-Jie LI

Be aware that some packages are really BIG fellows, so you will have
download times of several hours if you dselect all common packages at
once. Therefore you should download only a few packages, configure them,
and then go over to the next ones. I did it this way and I learned a lot
about Linux.

First, you have to build up your PPP connection. For this, you should change
the files /etc/ppp.options_out to fit your modem connection (try noipdefault
if your remote system uses dynamic IPs, set the speed of your modem, eg
38400, set the modem port, perhaps /dev/ttyS1 for the second serial port,
set the asyncmap, netmask, maximal receive unit (mru) an your username withe
user <username>). My PPP.options_out is:
defaultroute /dev/ttyS1 115200 -vj debug asyncmap 0xa0000 netmask
255.255.255.0 mru 1524 noipdefault 0.0.0.0:<the ip-address of my server>
user <my_user_name>
Caution: This file should be one line (?), and without any comments. Check
out /etc/ppp/options for default and further settings.

The ppp daemon reads /etc/ppp/options and /etc/ppp.options_out, but try to
change /etc/ppp.options_out only. ASK YOUR LOCAL SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR for
things like asyncmap, netmask, etc...

Then you should change /etc/ppp.chatscript. Set the dial-in number with
ATDT<number>, eg ATDT123456. My chatscript works like this:
TIMEOUT	50
ABORT	BUSY			Terminate if the line is busy
ABORT	"NO CARRIER"		Terminate if there's no carrier
ABORT	ERROR			Terminate if there's an error
ABORT	"NO DIALTONE"		Terminate if the modem has no dialtone
""	ATZ			initialise modem
OK	ATDT123456		wait for modem responding OK and dial
CONNECT	""			wait for connect

Check "man chat", "man pppd" so far!

Add your nameserver to resolv.conf!
nameserver <IPaddress for first nameserver>
nameserver <...>
There can be up to three nameserver, at least two should be there!
Ask your local system administrator for these addresses.

Does your remote system use PAP or CHAT authentification?
Add

<user_name>	*	<password>

(without the <>!) to your /etc/pap-secrets file for PAP and add

<user_name>	<remote host>	<your password>
<remote host>	<user_name>	<your remote's passwd>

to your chap-secrets file. Ask your sysadm and read man pppd again!

This could be all you need. Try it. Watch /var/log/ppp.log for error
messages. (Try 'tail /var/log/ppp.log' or 'watch -n 1 tail /var/log/ppp.log'
on a second terminal)

Type 'pon' to dial in, and 'poff' to dial out. Try to 'ping <host_name>' and
try 'telnet <host_name>', ...

For dselect, try dselect, Access mode, ftp, ... and then you should do what
dselect says, ...

If anything curious happens, let me know.

Good luck!