Re: was: I screwed my net access

To follow up my own problem, isn't it funny how sending the message
triggers your mind....

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Richard Morin wrote:

> The strangest thing in all of this, is that I can, now at least, connect
> with minicom and start pppd manually, which is fine, but I can't get my
> mail with fetchmail.  It seems that the remote system is querying my
> machine for some reason, and my smtp port is not listening.  ftp works,
> nntp works, telnet (which I'm using now to write this from pine on my
> providers machine)

I had munged up /etc/init.d/networks
and I had played with /etc/hosts.deny

after reseting these to original settings, I think, all is getting better.

> Take pity on me, I've spent way too much time reading to be
> objective about this anymore....

I take that back, don't pity me, feel free to throw your rotten veggies at
me for cluttering up the list...with my self inflicted probs...

Rich M
qnc496@durhamnews.net