Ethernet

I have some ethernet cards that came with a used machine.  I don't
know what they are (which type of ethernet) how can I get them
running under debian linux?  I also have some ethenet cards that I
know what they are Novel NE2000 compatible, how can I get those
running under Linux? they came with dos drivers?  Also, If I have 1
ethernet card on a Dos machine running Novel can it talk to a Linux
machine running ethernet?  how?  Also, If I was to purchase the red
hat cd rom would the stuff on it be compatible with debian linux or
does it take a debian os to run debian stguff and red to run red hat?
 Thanks.