trouble with remote X app displaying to linux

I am trying to execute and display (to my local Debian-Linux box) an X
application compiled and linked on AIX 3.2.5.  I have set the DISPLAY
to my local machine and confirm that other applications will work.
The same application works fine when displayed to the local console.
I am running Debian Linux 1.2.8, kernel 2.0.29, with X11R6 and
compatible libraries for X11R5 loaded also.  The following error
message is received when attempting to execute the Application:

% X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  78 (X_CreateColormap)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  0
  Resource id in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  6

How can I fix this problem?

| James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D.  | Phone:  (423)576-8645  |   | L |
| Oak Ridge National Laboratory   | FAX:    (423)574-9172  | H | I |
| Research Reactors Division      | Internet: fea@ornl.gov | F | N |
| P. O. Box 2008                  | Reactor Technology     | I | U |
| Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831-6392 | world's best neutrons! | R | X |