Re: rcp & rsh help

On Mon, 10 Mar 1997 06:53:23 CST Paul Serice (ugs@laci.net) wrote:

> I've got rlogin working fine.  I just edited my .rhosts file.  The problem
> is that rcp is not working, and I think what is happening is as follows:
>
> When I is a "rsh" command, the output always begins with "stdin: is not a
> tty".  Now, when I issue any "rcp" command the command looks and sounds
> like it is working then it just stops and waits.  My guess is that this
> "stdin: is not a tty" error is being issued which is messing up the rcp
> protocol.

You probably have a stty or an other command which assumes you're running on a tty in your shell init file. Though rsh/rcp do not perform a login, they run the non-interactive init files (.bashrc, .cshrc...).
The best is to enclose these tty-specific commands with a
	if [ "$PROMPT" != "" ]

PROMPT (or prompt for csh) are empty when running non-interactive.
Then you shouldn't get anymore "is not a tty" message, and rcp should work...

Tricky eh ?
Phil.