Re: ethernet routing problem

> From cas@taz.net.au  Sun Mar  9 19:11:47 1997
>
> On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Steve Izma wrote:
>
> > I've been setting up Debian 1.2.4 (25 Jan.: Cheapbytes distribution)
> > on two new Pentium 150 systems and I can't get network routing over
> > ethernet to work.
> >
> > I'm using the D-link DE220P, which the ne
> > driver easily finds. Ifconfig gives this report, which I believe shows
> > correct configuration of the driver to the card:
> >
> > eth0      Link encap:10Mbps Ethernet  HWaddr 00:80:C8:2D:7D:8F
> >           inet addr:192.54.242.228  Bcast:192.54.242.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
> >           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
> >           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
> >           TX packets:4117 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
> >           Interrupt:11 Base address:0x220
> >
> > Pinging the localhost works fine, but pinging anything else on the
> > network (even the immediately adjacent device connected via coax)
> > produces no result. I'm sure it's not a wiring problem because the
> > rest of the machines on the network are not affected and I get the
> > same negative results using ping on both new machines, which are wired
> > into the network in different locations in the office.
>
> does the card have more than one connector? i.e. BNC and/or RJ-45 and/or
> AUI connectors?
>
> If so, make sure that the card is correctly configured to use the right
> connector for your network.
>
> 4117 TX packets and 0 RX packets makes me a bit suspicious that, e.g., the
> card is configured to use the RJ-45 UTP connector when you are running on a
> coax network - or vice-versa.

That was the problem. Much thanks. When using other cards of this
type in the past, I ran the DOS setup on them, but this time the
ne driver found the right i/o so quickly I figured I didn't need
to go to the trouble of removing the card, putting it in a DOS
machine, and then reinstalling it, etc. (forgetting that there
was more to setup than just i/o & IRQ). So using the setup
program and changing connectors to BNC did the trick.
	Thanks again.
	--Steve Izma, Wilfrid Laurier University Press
 		Waterloo, Ont., Canada N2L 3C5
 		(519) 884-0710 ext. 6125	 FAX: (519) 725-1399
 	steve@nestor.wlu.ca  or  sizma@mach1.wlu.ca