Re: Zimmerman case

On Sat, 8 Mar 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:
>
> > Bruce:
> > > The government dropped its case against Zimmerman long ago.
> >
> > From: Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>
> > > That is true, but he is still be "pestered" more than you and I would like
> > > to live with.
> >
> > Uh, maybe. He seems to be making money on the issue. Take a look at
> > http://www.pgp.com/pgpcorp/pgpcorp.cgi . They don't give details on
> > their financing, but the people on the board certainly have access to
> > good financing.
>
> This is the only known method an individual has for protection from abuse
> by large groups. Rich == powerful -> safe
>

> > > I just wish our government would get over the fascist notion that only
> > > governements should be allowed to "protect" secrets.
> >
> > No argument there.
>
> At least not between you and I ;-)
> I have never heard an "individual" produce "good" arguments for this
> behavior. It is only when large "groups" respond that you hear that magic
> phrase "national security", which, in this day of "international terrorist
> activities" is a truely self contradictory term.

The only thing I will say in defence of ITAR, from talking to people
invloved with it when it was developed, is

1) Remember its age, it was created a while ago, times have changed so
should it.

2) The people that developed it were asked, what don't we want our enemies
getting their hands on, one of their answers was strong encryption.

Then again, in today's age of PGP ITAR is basically deprecated. :-)

shaya