Re: gzip repair

>>     Martin> Not necessarily so. Perhaps "gunzip figures.tar.gz"
>>     Martin> followed by "tar -xvf figures.tar" works out all right.
>>     I have tried that, I get a "unexpected EOF error" when gunziping

  With very large files, 500+M, used to get bad gzips all the time. I never
 trusted it, and always had to check the new .gz with gzip -l . Do not
 know how gzip performs now. Since I back-up with dump(1). Try to use
 bzip ( not sure about the name, but it is in non-free). It might perform
 better than gzip. Or, try to buffer(1) the data before gzip sees them, maybe
 that will help. I don't think Debian has buffer(1), but you can get it from
 a sunsite mirror. It would be nice to know if Debian has a program that
 only buffers, anyone knows?

Ioannis Tambouras
ioannis@flinet.com, West Palm Beach, Florida
Signed pgp-key on key server.