Re: turning off computer

 I> Is there a way for a user without root priveleges to cleanly
 I> unmount the root file system and shutdown the computer?
 I>
 I> I've been running 'init 0' as root before turning off the box, but
 I> I don't want to have to give out the root password to my family
 I> (it's bad enough that I know it!) just so they can turn the thing
 I> off when I'm not around. We'd rather not leave it on when it is
 I> not in use.
 I>
 I> Thanks, Rikki

Well, the easiest is to write a script and chmod 6755 it.
consider /usr/local/bin/down to be this script:
---------------------
#!/bin/sh
# that is a better way imho to shutdown a computer
/sbin/shutdown -t1 -r now

now:
$ chmod 6755 /usr/local/bin/down

borik

Boris D. Beletsky                          borik@isracom.co.il
Network Administrator                      borik@cs.huji.ac.il
Hebrew University                          borik@debian.org
Jerusalem, Israel                        phone: +972 2 6411880